Indian saag is a curry of cooked mustard or similar ‘bitter’ greens (kale, collards, turnip greens), and spinach or similar mild greens (chard, bok choy, beet greens). Any combination of greens works! Use more spices and peppers for hot saag, or less for mild.
- 1 bunch kale, Brussels sprouts leaves or Swiss Chard
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1-2 red or green chilies chopped fine
- 1 Tbsp sea salt
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 2-3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp whole cumin seed
- Wash greens and tear or chop into medium sized pieces.
- Heat oil in large pan or wok and add chili, garlic, ginger and cumin seeds – frying till seeds are golden brown.
- Add tumeric and fry for 15 sec more.
- Add greens and salt. Cook for 6-8 min or until greens are wilted.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
- Serve immediately. May be served over rice or your choice of grain.